Saturday, May 15, 2010

two boys in a crib

Tonight I put James in Thatcher's crib while we were getting Thatcher's pjs on and saying prayers. I knew James would like the soother and wanted to see how Thatcher would react (I have done it before and Thatcher hasn't been too thrilled with the idea of James in his bed). Thatcher didn't seem mad or jealous, but was definitely anxious to get in his crib. We laid him down next to James and both boys seemed very happy. I told Ty we should do a little experiment and see what Thatcher would do if we left James in there. I honestly didn't know what to expect. We told Thatcher that James was sleeping with him tonight and then we said goodnight and left. We watched the two of them on the baby monitor for probably five minutes and they were as happy as could be. Thatcher kissed James once and kept looking at him, but besides that he was perfectly still.

We decided to go in and get James after a while, but Thatcher was really sad when we did. He kept pointing at the empty spot where James had been, then pointed at James and said 'baby'. So....we decided to let James stay a little longer. This time James started to fuss after a few minutes. When he did, Thatcher tried to make him happy by having Elmo give James kisses. When Ty went in to get James, Thatcher was holding James's hand (does it get any cuter?). Thatcher was still not ready to let go of James and he stood up in his crib and grabbed at James while we were trying to say goodnight. Finally (thanks to Ty's brilliance) we took Thatcher with us into our room, put James in the bassinet, said goodnight to James and explained that James needed to sleep in his own bed. After that, Thatcher was fine with the situation and went right to bed.

I didn't know what to expect when we left James in Thatcher's crib, but I certainly didn't expect that. Thatcher has the sweetest heart and I am always amazed at how much he loves his brother. I love my boys. They are so special and so great for each other. I can't imagine my life and our little family without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment