Friday, November 19, 2010

thatcher, my singing story telling boy

Thatcher has started to really love songs and singing lately. He is excited about all the Christmas songs and about a couple weeks ago he started singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" out of nowhere. I didn't even know he knew it. He helps me sing "I am a Child of God" to James when James is going down for a nap and he learned to sing "Happy Birthday" yesterday for Nanna's birthday. He caught on really quick and did a good job singing it to her. The other day while driving home from Phoenix we sang songs for most of the drive home and he did such a great job. He knows "If you're happy and you know it" and "The itsy bitsy spider" and lots of others. He is so smart and I feel like all of this has just happened overnight.

Thatcher also loves stories. Some of his favorites are what he calls "The Alligator Song" where the alligator snaps the monkeys out of the tree. He is also addicted to going on a "Bear Hunt" even though he sometimes gets scared when the bear starts to chase us. Other stories that Thatcher loves are "Go Dog Go", "How do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?", "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom", anything pop up, "5 Little Monkeys" and others that I can't remember right now. He has such a love of books and is so good at paying attention whenever a book is being read to him whether it is at home or at storytime in the library or music class.

Thatcher has a new friend named Simon and they have had a lot of fun together. They have very similar temperaments and play well together. They like the same things and like to laugh, give each other hugs, and act like the crazy little boys they are. Thatcher will randomly start talking about Simon's dinosaur pajamas or hte duck bib he wore once when he was over for dinner. I love that he remembers little things like that and I love seeing Thatcher make friends.

Thatcher loves to help me in the kitchen and brings his little chair over every time I start cooking. This morning I caught a naked Thatcher using his chair to sneak a brownie.

Potty training...I really need to buckle down and learn what to do to help him in the right way, but it is frustrating. My approach has been if he wants to sit on the potty or be naked or wear big boy underwear...let him. I am learning that the freedom I am giving him is probably not a good thing. Just this morning a naked Thatcher in Lightning McQueen tennis shoes pooped on the floor in the bathroom then stepped in it as he was coming out saying, "big poop". By the time I realized what was going on he had already crossed the carpet and made quite a mess. Then this afternoon, he came down naked from his nap (thank goodness he took it off after his nap unlike a previous time where he peed all over my bed)...then, after begging for big boy underwear after his nap, he peed all over the floor. Obviously something isn't working.

Thatcher takes such good care of his brother, he is so obedient (90% of the time), he is funny, and he is so loving. He is the greatest and I love my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment