Friday, November 19, 2010

friends









I have been thinking a lot lately about my friends. I have been so blessed. I have recently made a new friend and one of the first times we hung out, as our boys were getting acquainted, she said, "It's good to see that it's uncomfortable for kids too" or something like that. I loved that she admitted that it really is hard to become friends with people. It takes a lot of time and service and a definite connection for a real friendship to blossom. I feel like after more than two years I have begun to have friends here in Flagstaff. These friendships are still developing, but it makes me sad when I think of moving to Utah or to Phoenix, to think that I would have to start all over again when I have come so far.

Here are some or the things that have gotten me thinking about how blessed I am to have the friends I do:
- Going to a music time with my boys where I was the only mom who knew the "beaver song" and when they asked me if I had sung it when I was younger, I said, "no, I learned it in college from my friend, Maggie"
- A few weeks ago, Samantha's husband and I made the connection that he served his mission with Emily Mitarai. I love having friends like Emily who I am proud to call friend.
- Maggie finding out that her baby had a heart defect and that the baby would probably need open heart surgery right after birth. Even though baby Maisy is a lot healthier than hoped, crying with Maggie brought back so many memories and made me remember all that we have been through together.
- Going out to dinner with the Paynes a few weeks ago and remembering that there really are kindred spirits out there who are placed in your life at specific times because of a loving Heavenly Father.
- When Ty and I had to find a costume for a Halloween party I pulled out all my mission stuff and so many memories of Astyn Shaw (and other great companions) came flooding back and the huge blessing she was to my mission.
- Thinking about how Bekah and Maggie and Nicole just had babies and how Heidi and Em will have theirs soon...it is crazy!

These are just a few things that have happened in the last few weeks and don't begin to describe the memories I have and the significance my friends have had in my life. I am grateful for the new friends I am making and I am grateful for so many of my friends who have been there for so long (some of them are going on 15 years) and been through so much with me (the good and the bad).

No comments:

Post a Comment