Sunday, July 11, 2010

two extremes

Today was an interesting day. I spent most of sacrament walking around with a temperamental baby James and then I spent all of Sunday school dealing with a crying, dramatic, saddest-boy-you-have-ever-seen Thatcher. He has always loved nursery, but something went terribly wrong today and he was a wreck. He would cry and grab my face so I would look at him (one of my favorite things he does) and give me the saddest look in the whole world. We went back and forth from the foyer to the nursery room and after an hour of calmly discussing, a few threats, and a lot of distracting, I was able to leave him and he seemed to do pretty well for the last hour. However, that one hour of total devastation left me feeling discouraged and clueless as to how to improve my mothering so as to avoid such a situation in the future.

I am still working on that one, but this afternoon something else happened that left me feeling completely different. I nursed James after we came home from church and the two of us fell asleep in bed. I woke up more than an hour later with the most beautiful baby I have ever seen looking up at me. He was holding my arm with his arms and legs and giving me the most adoring, loving look you can imagine. I love being a mom. I love being a mom to two beautiful special boys. They are everything to me. Everything. And that makes all the tantrums, missed sacrament meetings, and worry worth it. So worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment