Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The last six months

I just realized that this week will mark six months since Ty flew out for his job interview in Denver. It is hard to think of my life just six months ago and how much has changed. It is amazing to me to have a little bit of perspective on our move and to now see how much our lives were guided by Heavenly Father in getting us here.

- Job. Things at Ty's old law firm are not doing well. Even though we were happy with Ty's income at his old law firm, he was travelling on the reservation multiple times a week and the way things were being run had some major flaws. Though there is a learning curve with a new type of law, Ty likes where he is and is hopeful about his career with his new job.

- My job. It is funny to think of driving for 20 plus minutes each way two days a week right before dinner time in order to teach a step class. I do miss teaching step and don't know if I will ever live in a place again where people love taking step classes like in Flagstaff, but I love where I am at now too. The gym I am working at is extremely nice, close, and the classes are incredible. I just got certified in Zumba and am learning how to teach Piloxing as well. I feel like doors have just opened for me in order to continue to teach aerobics and take care of myself in a way I enjoy.

- Preschool and kindergarten. I was nervous about leaving the co-op my friends and I put together because I am so cheap and wanted to find something that would work for us. Thatcher is going to a great preschool that is super affordable with kids in our ward and I even get to car pool. It is worth every penny to not have to plan and teach and worry about my two other kids at the same time. We were so lucky this teacher was looking for a spot to fill too because she has a waiting list to get in but someone had just moved out. Then with next year! Thatcher was 50 something on the waiting list to get into this new school that is being built right now but he ended up getting in and I think it is going to be really great. Once again, the kids in the ward will be there, it is super close, and there are going to be a lot of great things about it (like uniforms!).

- Our house. I love our landlords. Leaving Flagstaff ended up being a pretty negative experience because our landlord there was just terrible in so many ways, but where we are right now is so much better. The people we are renting from are extremely grateful for the care we have already taken of their home and they are eager to make sure they do their part in keeping us happy. It was such a huge blessing that we found this rental in this ward in this neighborhood. I truly believe we were supposed to end up here.

- Friends. We have been so blessed since we have moved here. It took me years to feel a part of things in Flagstaff and I have been welcomed with open arms here. I was instantly invited to the Bunco group, a recipe group, a singing time group with kids, and Ty and I have already been invited to more dinners and social events than our 4 1/2 years in Flagstaff. We spoke in church and were given callings the same week our records arrived and we were instantly included as a part of the ward. We also already know more neighbors than we ever did in Flagstaff. We are going on a little trip with friends in June and I adore the people I have met here. I feel like I have been here so much longer than I actually have. I love my friends and feel like there are so many kindred spirits. And the coolest thing is that I have friends outside the ward too and that has provided so much support as I get my new bearing and make friends in the neighborhood.

- Recreation. Nothing can compare with the recreation provided by the cabin, but besides that I am loving taking my kids to the children's museum, to the zoo, swimming, the endless paved trails everywhere and along the river, the super cool parks, all the community events that happen here. It is a great community with so much to offer. This summer there is an outdoor community pool that everyone has access to in our neighborhood and it is going to be so much fun swimming all summer long. We haven't even been to the aquarium or other museums that there are here. I love doing things like that with my kids so that has been a major perk.

- Callings and Church. Callings are callings and I was really sad to leave my beehives, and I was equally anxious to get the calling of primary chorister...but surprise surprise. I love it and I am having a lot of fun with it. I have a lot to learn, and I spend a lot of time preparing each week, but it has been fun and I feel like Heavenly Father has once again challenged me with something that seems daunting but in reality is a huge blessing. Ty's calling in Young Men's has also been really good for him. We are both serving with people we really like and are grateful we are getting to know. I love our ward and am just amazed at the quality and caliber of people we are surrounded by. There are so many faithful members here and it is so nice to feel like you have an instant family because of the church. I am also so excited to have a temple so close. It is such a huge blessing after having one so far away for so long.

I know I have painted a pretty perfect picture of our life here. It isn't that by a long shot. Day to day life is pretty much the same no matter where you are. I struggle with James on a daily basis, with finding purpose in what I am doing, with feeling guilt over not living the Gospel to its fullest, with not keeping up with a clean house and exercising and cooking and playing with my kids and eating right and getting ready each day and serving others and all the myriads of things I feel I should be doing in a perfect world. I struggle with missing my mom and with comparing my life to others. But...I do feel like Heavenly Father has blessed us so much by bringing us here and I am so grateful that this is the season of life I am in right now. I feel more at peace than I think I ever have in our married life about us being in the right place. I even feel like my relationship with Ty has improved a great deal in the last six months. Things just seem to be falling into place one step at a time. Now I just need to straighten James out, have my mom and Bekah move to Denver, and live happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment