Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A disaster a day

It is so funny how every time I have a moment where I think, "I can do this. I've got things under control," something happens to remind me that I have absolutely no control right now. Let's take a look at last week:

Monday:  I found James laying down with Hadley in the bassinet and prevented way too many close calls. He can be so sweet and gentle one minute and then way too rough the next. He still believes he is taking care of her when he is sitting on top of her or covering her face with his hand. Poor Hadley. The things she has already endured and she is only three weeks old. A great outlet for James has been his trains (which he is pretty impressive at). When we all need a break I send him in his room to build train tracks and he does such a great job patiently building tracks and playing with his trains by himself.




Tuesday: My friend brought over 8 cupcakes and I put them on the counter. I head out on a walk with all three boys to deliver some thank you notes around the neighborhood. Ty picked up James on our way home and so James and Ty made it back a few minutes earlier than Thatcher, me and Hadley. Our landlord was over helping with some stuff for our lawn so Ty was a little distracted. I walked right in to the kitchen and all the cupcakes were gone. I went outside to ask Ty if he had helped himself to 8 cupcakes and he said he hadn't touched them. Just then a very frosting-covered James entered the scene and our landlord thought it was the funniest thing ever. It was pretty funny, but I am baffled at how he ate that many in such a short period of time. I never found most of the wrappers either.

Wednesday: It took me the entire morning to get everyone ready to go a few houses down the street for a meeting about a parent's preschool we are doing next year. I was shocked at how long it took to do sunscreen, breakfast, clothes, diaper changes, nursing, preparing snacks and the diaper bag, etc. It was the first time I had to be out the door with all three kids at a specific time. We were actually right on time and the first ones there so that helped me to feel a little accomplished. However, just minutes after arriving, James hurt his knee on the trampoline (he was jumping with 5 four-year-olds and it got a little crazy). James is the toughest little boy I have ever seen, but he was in a lot of pain. He limped around on it for four days and spent the entire meeting on my lap crying and moaning. It made for a really fun meeting that was already pretty loud and chaotic.

Thursday: I spent all morning at the doctor's and running errands with Hadley and James. It went extremely well and was so nice to get out. Then after James's nap we walked to Simon's to pick up Simon and Thatcher and take them to the park. Bridget came with us and we had a short but nice park visit. Then we walked home and Bridget came all the way to my house and inside so we could talk while I nursed. Thank goodness because a few minutes after coming inside we realized that James had opened up a little surprise I had gotten the boys earlier. I got each boy a package of the capsules that grow into sponges shaped like various animals. Right as I got settled with Hadley James walked over and was chewing something. I was very interested to see what it was because I had just put a baby proofing lock on the pantry door (due to two boxes of cheerios being dumped out on the floor earlier that morning) and didn't know how James could have gotten to food. James had two of the capsules in his mouth and one in his hand. I pulled the two out of his mouth, but we never found the remaining NINE that had been in the package. Bridget called poison control and I have been in touch with them since...but James was fine. He didn't choke, never complained of stomach pains, and has had normal bowel movements (where I have still not found any sign of the capsules).

Here is James with nine of the animal sponges that didn't make it into his mouth just to give us an image of what possibly grew in his stomach. He thought it was pretty fun to be the center of attention so we took a few more pictures of all his silly faces.









Friday: I thought I lost Thatcher and had a little meltdown when after probably twenty minutes of not seeing him I found out that the gate to our backyard was open and started imagining the worst. I was freaking out when Thatcher walked in from the garage where he had been playing in the car with a flashlight so he hadn't heard me calling for him when I was in the garage.

Sunday: We tried so hard to make it on time to church. I was completely ready to go at 9:30. Church doesn't start till 11:00. But of course it was the one time Hadley wanted to nurse on both sides, James got a poopy diaper right as we were loading up, the boys wanted to eat lunch before church...then the van wouldn't start so we had to jump start it. We got there right at the opening hymn was starting, but still...we tried so hard to get there early and had every obstacle in our way.

Things really are going pretty good...but it has been a funny week thinking about how each time I feel confident and calm about how things are going, it is very quickly followed by a situation that reminds me how crazy things are and how things will probably not be calm for a very long time. But look at this beautiful, double-chinned, cross-eyed three week old. She makes everything worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment