Monday, December 5, 2011

Switzerland: Geneva







Tuesday, October 18

This was a very memorable day for me. I woke up early and caught a tram at 6:30, then a train at 7:00. By 9:00 I was in Geneva meeting Soeur Hlimi (now Rebecca Paya) at the Geneva airport where she had just flown in. We eventually figured out the bus situation and made our way into the Old Town and walked around for a while. We saw some of the sights there to see like St. Peter’s Cathedral and some other significant buildings, then we had some fabulous chocolate banana tarts that Rebecca said she craved the entire time she was on her mission. We walked down by the waterfront and the jet d’eau and then found a cool place to have lunch. We stayed in the restaurant for the longest time just talking. Then we walked around some more and got hot chocolate and treats at a Starbucks (my first time in a Starbucks and it was in Switzerland). We saw some cool things (including the United Nations buildings), ate way too much food, and spent a really great day just catching up on life and reminiscing about our missions (all in French, which was really fun for me). It was so good for me to be with her. She had such a huge influence on my mission and on my French. She was a huge answer to prayers after a rough start and we shared a lot of amazing as well as a lot of fun experiences together.

She is an incredible person and I left that day feeling like she had really helped put life back into perspective for me. She serves so selflessly in the church. She has sacrificed so much to be a good wife to her husband. She has put her life in the Lord's hands and knows that he will provide. I don't have the faith that she does (especially when I am facing trials), but being with her helped me remember what is most important. It is all about people and relationships, about trusting in the Lord and his timing, and about serving (and being prepared to serve) in his Church. She is an amazing friend and one I am blessed to have in my life. I hope I get to see her again before I have grandkids!

No comments:

Post a Comment