Sunday, August 22, 2010

traumatized....seriously

Today Thatcher and I went outside to kick around a ball and enjoy the warm, stormy weather. We played with a potato bug, kicked around the ball for a while, and then Thatcher got distracted. He kept pointing to one of the lanterns lining my mom's walk way and saying, "bug." He loves bugs and seemed really exited about his discovery. He lifted up the lantern to look underneath as he was talking about the bugs and next thing I knew, a hive of hornets had swarmed around him as he was waving his arms and screaming, "bug, bug, bug!" I ran to him as fast as I could, picked him up, and flew in the house. My family was immediately there to help as I was shaking (and I will admit it, crying) and holding my poor baby. We covered the stings with cold towels, gave him tylenol and benadryl, 3 cups of orange juice (it was what he wanted...and he got it), and watched some "Cars" and he was good as new....except for the 5 hornet stings he had! One on his cheek, one on his neck, one on each hand, and the worst one was on his lip (which swelled up quite a bit because Thatcher couldn't help biting and sucking on it).

Thatcher was such a trooper, but I was terrified. I am emotional right now just thinking about it. To look over and see my perfect little boy surrounded by hornets just killed me. I had no idea if he was allergic and was praying everything would be ok. Josh was pretty shaken up by the whole ordeal and said a tear-filled prayer once Thatcher was calmed down. We were all so grateful that Thatcher was ok and know it could have been a lot worse. The only thing we are worried about now is how long it will take Thatcher to like bugs again. All afternoon he was saying, "bug hurt" which means that he hasn't forgotten the whole horrible ordeal.

He looks pretty happy in this picture though...just a few hours after.

No comments:

Post a Comment