Monday, March 28, 2011

imagination

I remember reading an autism awareness sign in a doctor's office when Thatcher was just a baby. It said: 'Does your child point to show you things?' 'Does your child look when you point to things?' and 'Does your baby participate in imaginary play?'. I remember thinking that the imaginary play question was kind of funny and wondering how much 'imaginary play' most kids did.

Well...my question has been answered. I feel like I live in a make believe world. In this world I am usually Dory, but sometimes Mommy Incredible, and sometimes Sally. Thatcher is mostly Nemo these days, but still frequently likes to play the role of Dash or Buzz. Ty is Bruce the Shark and Incredible Dad. And James is either little Nemo or baby Jack Jack. In our pretend world we do a whole lot of swimming, running from sharks, running from bears who hide in funny places (Thatcher always likes to tell me where bears are hiding), and eating funny things. We build houses and play games with lots of silly rules. I love it. I never knew a 2-year-old could be so creative. It makes me laugh and makes life fun. I love seeing the things that Thatcher comes up with...and it is a lot. He really doesn't stop talking throughout most of the day and the majority of what he says these days is make believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment