Wednesday, August 17, 2011

what kids find funny

Last night we went on a walk after dinner. The boys weren't really on the same page as me and Ty. They started riding their bikes in bare feet and pjs and it took quite a bit of convincing (and a little force) to get them in the stroller for our after dinner walk. A few minutes later (probably less than that), both boys had wriggled out of the stroller and were insisting on walking with us. We stopped at a boat that has been permanently parked on our street and Thatcher reenacted Nemo with Ty where Nemo wants to touch the boat, but his dad is telling him no. Then James wanted his turn to be Nemo. After fifiteen minutes we had made it about fifty feet away from our house. Then the boys discovered a tall fuzzy weed that was the funniest thing they had seen all day, and that was the end of any progress. They stood their for the longest time with Thatcher pulling a leaf at a time off the the tall weed. When Thatcher would pull a leaf off, the tall week would swing back and then sway for a second and James thought it was the most hilarious thing. James was laughing so hard and the trick never got old. Eventually we had to force the boys home so I could head off to a presidency meeting, but that little experience made my day.

It was a good lesson and reminder to me that things don't ever turn out how we plan (like getting fifty feet away from our house when we were hoping for a nice evening walk), and sometimes life is a constant struggle (like trying to keep our kids in the stroller), but how important it is to notice and appreciate the funny happy moments where everything feels right. I love my special boys so much. They make everything ok. They make everything bearable and help me keep me focused on the most important things...which is them. Even though I do often feel overwhelmed with our house situation, with loneliness and not feeling like we have many real friends, and with not knowing when and where we are going to move.

Right now I am sitting next to a very happy and very naked James who is anxious to read some books together. I am so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment