Wednesday, August 24, 2011

my boys

James is talking a ton. He is getting better at holding my hand, but if there is a ramp of any kind nearby he will bolt for it and run up and down it until he is taken (kicking and screaming) away from it. James has been working on his backward-walking skills...pretty funny. He is getting better at sitting and listening to books being read and he loves the stories his dad tells. Gives the sweetest kisses. Always tells me to 'shhhh' and puts his finger up to his mouth whenever he sees someone sleeping.

James has rediscovered a leap frog stuffed animal that Josh gave to Thatcher a while ago. It sings songs and James is in love with it. Every time it plays a song, James moves his hands to do actions (Itsy Bitsy Spider and Twinkle Little Star look the same, but If You're Happy and You Know It has different actions). This morning I found James on the stairs making the frog's hands clap to If You're Happy and You Know It.

So...despite the fact that James tried to bite SIX different kids on Sunday and I am still healing from a bite that happened over a week ago. And despite the fact that every time I pick him up from day care the ladies inform me that James has a problem with throwing toys at other kids. And despite the fact that James will go up to any kid of any size and either push or hit them...I love him so much and think he is wonderful. We have a few things to work on, but he really is the best.

Thatcher is very protective of James. Today I was trying to get some serious knots out of James's hair and Thatcher kept taking the combs away from me and yelling at me to stop because I was hurting his brother. They come up with the craziest things together too. Yesterday they were surfing and sledding off the couch. Thatcher would balance a cutting board on the arm rest of the couch and balance on it for a second before diving to the side. James thought that was pretty cool so he decided to get out a cookie sheet, carry it up with him to the top of the couch, sit on it, and sled down. The little daredevils. Thatcher has started to get gutsier with bars and hanging from things and as usual, James follows suit. I am encouraging it now because it is so cute. I just hope they don't end up with multiple broken limbs because they are doing flips off the monkey bars.

Thatcher has shown an interest in cooking with me lately and he will always pull up his stool when he sees that I am starting something. He is really good at listening to what we are doing and likes to be a part of the whole process. I love it.

Thatcher held up his hand and tried to tell a huge truck to 'stop' today because he thought it was getting a little too close to him in the parking lot.

Last weekend we went to the Flagstaff Children's Art Festival where Thatcher got his face painted to look like a pirate, he got a dog balloon, he made a puppet, and he got a sucker, a spider toy, and a snow cone. He was in heaven. He was so happy. I love having a little boy who makes a big deal out of everything.

Thatcher's first day of preschool. I think it is going to be more of a transition for him than I initially thought it would be. He is just so sensitive that if he gets corrected (which I think he did a few times) he falls apart. He is also very obedient and very smart and very good at paying attention, so hopefully those qualities will help him to not get corrected very often and save him from the emotional trauma. I am not worried about him learning, I just want him to have a fun and positive experience this first year at preschool.

I love my boys so much. I love just watching them. I love seeing James figure things out. I love seeing Thatcher's creativity and his focus. I love seeing them together. They are the best things in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment